Date:      Mon, 19 May 2014 17:51:18 -0400
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: poudriere in FreeNAS build

On 5/19/14, 5:48 PM, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Craig, this looks really great.
>>
>> Just wondering, does this preserve the these aspects of the build:
>>
>> 1) done in a chroot?
> Poudriere builds things in a jail, which for our purposes is mostly
> similar to a chroot.
> The FreeNAS build system builds the jail first, before invoking
> poudriere to build the ports
> inside the jail.
>

>> 2) provides an override for local mirror of source tarballs?
> Yes, we have a variable PORTS_DISTFILES_CACHE which can be overridden
> to point to a directory which contains a local mirror of source tarballs.
> At iXsystems, that directory is an NFS mount which is accessible on
> all build servers.
>

>> 3) provides comprehensive logs when a package build fails?
> Poudriere has very extensive and easy to understand logging for each
> package which is built.
>
> --
> Craig

I likely will not have time to test in the coming week or so, however we
are bringing on another developer that may be able to do so in the next
few weeks.

That said having watched you put this code into the build AND knowing
your talent and thoroughness I highly encourage you to commit it as soon
as you find time.  This will help nanobsd users quite a bit.

-Alfred