Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 03:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/27836: New port: Trafcount is loadable module for freebsd lets admin see how much amount of data was transfered by each user

The following reply was made to PR ports/27836; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: Tony Maher <tonym@angis.org.au>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:18:04 +0300

 On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:30:03AM -0700, Tony Maher wrote:
 > The following reply was made to PR ports/27836; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Tony Maher <tonym@angis.org.au>
 > To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, amir@boom.org.il
 > Subject: Re: ports/27836: New port: Trafcount is loadable module for freebsd lets
 >  admin see how much amount of data was transfered by each user
 > Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 19:21:14 +1000
 >
 >  I see some followups in ports mailing list that suggested
 >  various ideas - the latest from Peter Pentchev was to install
 >  into ${PREFIX}/libexec rather than share.  Reading hier(7)
 >  this would seem to be the best place that is documented and
 >  pre-exists (or even ${PREFIX}/libdata).

 No, ${PREFIX}/libdata is for data only, not executable files.
 Kernel modules are, in a sense, executables.
 (Well, OK, so /usr/libdata/perl/ does contain modules, but then..
  it's Perl, what would you expect ;)

 >  However ${PREFIX}/modules is IMHO a more logical place even if it does
 >  require some modifications to mtree files and an update to hier(7).
 >  Presumably there will be more kernel modules as ports so it would be
 >  worth the effort.

 There is some merit to this.  Still, I think that new ports of kernel
 modules should, for the present, live in ${PREFIX}/libexec, until
 a new directory is created in the mtree hierarchy.  Then, a sweep
 of the ports tree will have to happen (not a big one, since there
 are not yet so many modules in ports), and all such be moved into
 the newly-created modules/ directory.

 On second thoughts.. why not combine the two, and create the new
 modules/ directory as ${PREFIX}/libexec/modules/ ?

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.