Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 22:05:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, slagos@net1plus.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: <no subject>

> > 	I currently have two FreeBSD boxes mirrored as ftp sites.
> > 	I'm using DNS round-robin to balance the load.  The question
> > 	has come up:  "What happens if one of them goes down?"
>
> The connect to the first address should fail, and the client should
> move on to the next.  This, unfortunately, depends on clients being
> implemented correctly (which is unlikely).

Yep; it means you are probably screwed.

And we haven't even talked about caching keeping the old address
as the only one you are allowed to resolve to.  8-).

> > 	The idea is that machines in a round robin ring could
> > 	"cover" for one another using simple scripts and IP aliasing.
> > 	There's no kernels hacks, no dynamic DNS hacks, and no
> > 	applications layer hacks necessary.
>
> Cue terry to drop in and talk about server vs. service connections. 8)

...Mike means that it wants a protocol change at a pretty fundamental
level (the "what is a connection?" level).  Even IPv6 is screwed
here.  Wait for IPv7 (~8 years unless someone does something right);
it should be pretty obvious to everyone in about 2-3 years... in
some places on the net, it's becoming obvious now (cv: the MAE-West
NASA FDDI link that was choking to death ~5 weeks ago, and the
currently overloaded MCI backbone, choking to death daily at a node
near you).

I'm thinking on something I call "MNTR" (prononced 'Mentor', in honor
of Billy Batson 8-)) for Minimal Network Transit Routing.  It
relies on data vaults for regional service replication to offload
backbone traffic.  In my ideal world, you pay for your pipe flat
rate based on pipe size, and people putting up resources pay
vaulting services for regional replication -- leaving room for
volunteer vaulting and self-vaulting (with source quench) for
small sites or distribute free sites.

Long hop routes should be reserved for important things which *must*
have central servers badly enough that they merit taking up overall
network resources.  For instance, netrek, but not MUDS or IRC.

8-) 8-) 8-O.

Just joking; actually, intra-service cluster links will probably
need to have backbone channels as well., and IRC and MUDS qualifiy
better than netrek (not being nearly as interactive as 3-5 updates
a second).  IPhone is another candidate.

If you are really interested, you need to consider service referral
records (like MX records) and participate in the recently formed
FTP protocol revision mailing list.  This should stave off the
wolves for another 2-4 weeks 8-).  Note that they haven't thought
of this on their own -- they're mostly interested in making the
list command deterministic for GUI-based tools, so they can put up
folders and crap on a normal desktop.  You'd have to elect yourself
Mr. Advocate.

In the long run, it probably won't matter what you do to ftp itself,
as the net becomes swamped in http, video, and IPhone traffic.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---