Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 03:13:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ping?

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	I'm still interested, but I need some assistance in determining
> how I would be able to apply my skills in a useful manner.

The first thing we should probably do, which I've started here myself, is
to finally go through the entire OpenBSD cvs repository and merge over all
of their remaining fixes. I'm about halfway through bin/ after a day or
two's work.

Of course, this is no substitute for auditing the code ourselves (if
nothing else, our codebase is slightly divergent from theirs), which will
also be done, but it's a good way to get most of the problems fixed
quickly.

The ports tree should also have some sort of attention paid to it - I need
to bug Satoshi to provide a list of set[gu]id files from bento.

The most helpful thing for you to do is to become familiar with how to
identify and fix buffer overflows, race conditions and other common
security pitfalls - there were a few references posted in the early days
of this list which you should be able to dig out (I probably still have
the posts if theyre not archived) otherwise I can hunt down a more
comprehensive list of references.

Kris