Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:01:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk quota overriding

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
> > Dmitry Valdov wrote:
> > > I think that there is only one way to fix it - it's to disable making
> > > *hard*links to directory with mode 1777.
>

> I don't use quotas, and don't know a great deal about how they
> operate, but I think there's another disk filling DOS involving hard
> links lurking which the above measure would also solve. If a user
> starts making hard links to (large and growing) log files, with the
> new links being placed in /var/mail, then presumably those log files
> will not be deleted correctly as they are rolled over, and will
> quickly accumulate.
>
> This could not bring down a system as rapidly as growing the publicly
> writable directory with lots of links, but it is not desirable system
> behaviour.

This is beginning to sound like a broken record:

1) I usually move mail to /var/spool/mail, 2) You can't hard link between
/var and /var/spool partitions. On some machines /var/log is a filesys
to prevent logfile overflows from filling /var anyway.

I usually make a different /var/spool on largish machines to help upgrades
go faster. I tend to unmount it, /home, and /usr/local and completely
replace the OS.

No doubt there are other ways to fix this... - Jy@