Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:03:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.org, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, bmah@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New snapshot available shortly

On 18-Nov-2002 Peter Wemm wrote:
> "Bruce A. Mah" wrote:
>> --==_Exmh_339652908P
>>
>> If memory serves me right, John Baldwin wrote:

>> > Don't think so.  If those are required then you can just patch them
>> > into your build.
>>
>> The 5_dp2 branch is based on the state of CURRENT as of about midnight
>> (Friday night/Saturday morning), freefall time.
>
> I suspect re@ is going to need to figure out a way to deal with doing releases
> on multiple platforms more efficiently.  It was hard enough getting two
> platforms (i386/alpha.. but alpha was mostly dormant).  Four is going to be
> more of a challenge, especially when 3 are active.
>
> Since the chages above are ia64-specific (either in ia64-only files, or in
>#ifdefs), I think the right thing to do there is to merge those few changes
> onto the branch and be done with it.  If i386, alpha or sparc64 releases
> miss the ia64 changes, then too damn bad - it isn't a problem there.

I have no problem with these changes going into the tree.  In fact, I haven't
even done the alpha or sparc64 builds and I can hold up until those changes are
submitted if desired.  The DP2 release was quite rushed b/c I think some of us
were so frustrated w/ how late it was getting and how much things are dragging
on.  5.0 will certainly have more coordination.  Also, we really need to create
an re-ia64 if we haven't already.  I'm also willing to help out with re stuff
on ia64 if I ever procure a box.  Per-platform trees would not scale.