Date:      Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:56:24 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 07:30,  the author Vizion contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>On Tuesday 18 October 2005 04:42,  the author Panagiotis Astithas
> contributed to the dialogue on-
>
> Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:
>>Vizion wrote:
>>> On Monday 17 October 2005 15:05,  the author Scot Hetzel contributed to
>>> the dialogue on-
>>>
>>>  Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>>> Would this provide an opportunity to have for example:
>>> /usr/ports/eclipse
>>> /usr/ports/eclipse/plugins/
>>>
>>> so that the plugins could be selected for installation from make  config
>>> in /usr/ports and manage the installation of the plugins (rather similar
>>> to what happens for php)?
>>
>>This can be done today, with an eclipse-plugins meta-port, similar to
>>the php5-extensions one. I may even find some time to work on it.
>
>Wow
>
>That is great
>
>That is what I have been arguing for for three months!!
>
>david

BTW

If you get time would there be any chance you could set up the localized
plugin archive so that it conforms with Eclipse's expectation for plugin
installation.

Up until now, on a multi-user system, each user has to bring  plugins into
their individual work directories. This has led to different users
inadvertently working with different plugin versions. One of the reasons I
want to get the /usr/ports/eclipse/ and /usrports/eclipse/plugins hierarchies
working is to have a systenatic method of ensuring devellopers are working
with identical plugin versions. The ports tree system provides an ideal
method of monitoring the plugins.

The other advantage of the meta-port is that we will be immediately able to
bring the remaining 300 plugins into freebsd. This would be a great leap
forward

david