Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:16:12 +0200
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT freeze under high load

Looks like the problem below is caused by this commit:

dwmalone    2001/10/04 06:11:48 PDT

  Modified files:
    lib/libc/rpc         clnt_vc.c svc_vc.c
    sbin/mount_portalfs  activate.c
    sys/kern             uipc_socket.c uipc_usrreq.c
    sys/netgraph         ng_socket.c
    sys/sys              domain.h un.h
    usr.sbin/ppp         bundle.c

ACPI, which I previously wrongly blamed, isn't involved in any way. Right now I
am running a very recent -CURRENT, modulo this commit and more recent commits to
the same files, i.e. I updated using:

# cvs -q -R update -A -P -d
# cvs -q -R update -D'Oct 04 15:11' kern/kern_proc.c kern/kern_prot.c kern/uipc_socket.c kern/uipc_usrreq.c netgraph/ng_socket.c netinet/ip_fw.c netinet/raw_ip.c netinet/tcp_subr.c netinet/udp_usrreq.c sys/domain.h sys/socketvar.h sys/un.h

All my problems are now gone. This sort of makes sense to me, as the culprit,
qmail, is quite socket intensive.

Anybody has any idea how to properly fix?

Bye,
	Andrea

--
            It is easier to fix Unix than to live with NT.