Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2001 10:49:31 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAID5

Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net> wrote:

>     AFAIK, there are no IDE RAID cards that support RAID-5.  You are

     The 3ware cards support RAID5, although the performance is
supposedly not very good.

>     Or you could use vinum(8) and use whatever IDE controller you
> have, and whatever RAID configuration that you want.  Note, however

     I used to use vinum, but I'm now using a 3ware controller.  It's
*SOOO* nice to have something that's easy to set up, yet "just works".

     My issues with vinum are:

[ Note: it's been a year or two since I've used vinum, and so the
  following may be out-of-date.  Corrections appreciated.  ]

* Once set up, vinum works well, but it takes a lot of hard reading to
  set up.  The actual work itself is not hard, mind you, but it's
  difficult to figure out what you need to put into the config file.

  It's *SO* much easier to configure the 3ware controller ....

* Vinum is not part of the GENERIC kernel.  I had /usr on a
  vinum-controlled partition, and upgrading FreeBSD via CDs was a royal
  pain.  I basically had to do the upgrade to the root drive (moving
  /usr out of the way, rebuild the kernel with vinum, reboot, and then
  copy/move the contents of /usr into the vinum-controlled /usr --
  bleah).

  [ Today, I should be able to kldload vinum, but I don't think I can do
    this at install time from the CDROM, and so I'd still have to play
    games with /usr.  ]

  The 3ware driver is part of GENERIC, and so upgrades/installation is
  completely painless.

  My root partition is also on a 3ware-controlled drive; you can't do
  this with vinum (vinum is, however, very cost-effective ;-).

* (This may have changed.)  There is no documentation on how to do
  disaster recovery with vinum.  The procedure is (roughly) documented
  with 3ware (although I should, but have not, admittedly, tested it).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com