Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 1995 11:53:31 -0500
From:      mcaughey@infi.net (Michael Caughey)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   KERNEL   HELP !!!!

Here are the steps I used to recompile my KERNEL.

# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
^
|_________Ignore the # I use it to signify the prompt.

# cp IPFIREWALL MJCKERNEL
#man vi

I made changes to mcd1: I changed the port to 300 and changed devide ep0: to
port 340
and irq 11.  That is what my 3c509 LAN card is set to

# cd /usr/src/sys/compile/MJCKERNEL
# make depend

After this finished

# make

this took around 40 mins or longer.  From begging to end it was an hour,
including the fiddling with the editting.

Now the problem is that when I reboot my system It still tries to prope mcd1
with 0x340 and will not probe ep0 because of conflict at 0x300, which my
Mitsumi CD rom is on at mcd0, port 0x300 irq 10.

   ^^^^^
  @ 0 0 @
     &
     ~