Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:32:34 +0000
From:      "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Native JDK 1.3.1 Linux JDK 1.3.1 vs JDK 1.4.1 inconsistencies

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:41:27 +0000
From: "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Hello,
=09As some of you on this list know, I have been tinkering with a variety=
 of
JDK's on FreeBSD in large part to get the Eclipse Platform running with a=
ny
sort of consistency. Over the course of a couple of weeks I have found th=
following issues with each of the JDK's:

Native FreeBSD JDK 1.3.1

=09Under Eclipse, the native build of the 1.3.1 JDK refuses to allow the =
user
 to commit a Java project to the file system. When the user attempts to
 create a new project, the IDE responds with an error message that states
 that the .project file (the metadata file used by Eclipse to track proje=
ct
 changes) is read only. This is the ONLY JDK where this problem is manife=
st.
=09Further, when using this JDK none of the local filesystems appear in t=
he
 file browser dialogs. In fact, as far as Eclipse is concerned the local =
file
 system does not appear to exist at all.

Linux-SUN JDK 1.3.1
=09This is the only IDE I have been able to get to work with Eclipse with=
 any
sort of consistency. The above problem does not exist and you can actuall=
open the help brower, perform automatic software updates over the web, et=
c.
Also, certain plugins that I have added to the environment (JBoss, Weblog=
ic
integration work fine).

Linux-Sun JDK 1.4.1
=09This one is the most problematic and inconsistent of the bunch. While =
the
read only problem does not exist, any access of the help system, software
management etc brings the IDE to a crashing halt. Similarly, this JDK is =
dog
slow. Certain actions with the above JDK's can be performed in half the t=
ime.
Also, while the above JDK's only start one instance of the VM to run ecli=
pse,
the 1.4.1 JDK causes no less than 10-12 instances of the VM to start.
=09Also, JBoss 3.0.0 crashes upon startup when using this JDK.

=09I have seen similar types of behavior with a variety of Java based
applications on FreeBSD. Most notably is JEdit when used in conjunction w=
ith
the native JDK. JEdit crashes due to file system errors.
=09Needless to say this is a bewildering set of problems. I have a notion=
 that
the behavior with the native JDK has something to do with the Java securi=
ty
policy. At the very least the evident discrepancies across the aforementi=
oned
JDK's definitely give one cause for concern.
=09One other issue that I just don't understand is with the Linux compati=
bility
libraries. On both the native FreeBSD and 1.4.1 JDK Eclipse specifically
needs either the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to be set, or ldconfig -m
/compat/linux/lib to be run to start at all. However, with the Linux-Sun =
JDK
1.3.1 this is NOT NECESSARY. I just don't get it?????

=09I am not really sure if this is the right forum to post this message, =
it may
very be more appropriate for the ports list. Any advice on these issues w=
ould
be appreciated. I was also wondering if there was a specific mailing list
dedicated to Java running on FreeBSD? This might be a good idea in order =
reduce traffic on questions.

I am running 4.7 with the Linux 7.1_1 base.

Regards,

Weston