Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:45:21 -0500
From:      James Riendeau <jtriende@wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   su to root not prompting for a password

I upgraded to 6.1 RC-1 from 5.4, and when I su to root, it's not
prompting for a password.  I created a new account, and it does the
same thing there.  If the user is in the wheel group, it drops to the
# prompt.  If not, it echos the BAD SU attempt error message.  I
think it has something to do with PAM, but the documentation is not
exactly written for those of us who don't have MS/Ph.D.'s in computer
science.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I thought I followed all
the directions in /usr/src/UPDATING, but I must have done something
wrong, probably while using mergemaster.

My apologies if this has already been asked, but the search function
on lists.freebsd.org won't let me access other search result pages
beyond the first, and google didn't help.

Many thanks,

James Riendeau
MMI Computer Support Technician
1300 University Ave