Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 06:58:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <dunham@rider.fc.net>
To:        nadav@barcode.co.il (Nadav Eiron)
Cc:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey), questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Need help upgrading to larger disk

Nearly coherently, Nadav Eiron wrote (and I quote):
> Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:31:20 +0300
> From: Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
> To: Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
> CC: questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>

> Building a bootable FreeBSD floppy is a very nontrivial task, and it's
> not required here.

I was afraid that would be the answer.

> What I suggest you do is:
>
> First install FreeBSD on the new drive. The easiest would be to set up
> your desktop machine to FTP or NFS (I prefer the latter personaly) serve
> the CD-ROM, connect the machines over the parallel port and set up PLIP
> (Parallel Link IP, the lp0 interface - see the handbook for details).

I know NOTHING about NFS except how to spell it.  I'd best attempt FTP.

> Then, simply boot the install floppy on the laptop where the new drive
> is and install to it as usual.

As usual?  I've never done it, but with Greg's book here I ought to be
able to manage it.  I'm sure I'll screw SOMEthing up, but hopefully not
irretrievably.

> Once you're done you can boot FreeBSD off the new disk and repeat the
> trick with the other laptop and transfer whatever you like out of it
> (again, either with FTP or NFS),

This part SOUNDS easy, but I'm concerned about overwriting the kernel or
some other critical piece and bringing the whole thing down at a critical
point.

> or better still (if you can) have both
> disks on the same machine (temporarily) and copy over whatever you need.

This is what I wish I could do, but there is simply no physical way to
accomplish it.  These notebooks are designed for ONE hard drive.  I can
plug an additional floppy in on the parallel port, and MS-DOG will
recognize it if not FreeBSD, but not another hard drive without a SCSI
PCMCIA card that I do not possess.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll attempt this when I get home from work this
evening.  Any other advice is also welcome.

--
Jerry Dunham                      GS650G                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

  Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.