Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:36:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com (Brett Glass)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateway Solo with ATAPI CD-ROM: How to install?

Brett Glass stands accused of saying:

> Am now attempting to get FreeBSD onto a Gateway Solo laptop with an ATAPI
> CD-ROM. I'm working with a 2.2 snapshot disk, and am not getting very
> far! There's a mention of an ATAPI install disk in the pamphlet in the
> front, but no such image on the disk! When I installed by copying from

You'll notice the pamphlet is the 2.1R version with a sticky label over it.
The 2.2 SNAP has the ATAPI code in the normal boot image.

> the CD-ROM to a DOS partition, I still couldn't get the CD-ROM to work.

Sounds like it's just a total loser of a unit 8(  What brand is the
CDrom, and how is it supposedly connected?  The Sharp I'm using has two
seperate IDE controllers, with the disk on the first and the CDrom on
the second (which works A-OK FWIW).

> Nor could I get the 3Com 3C562 Ethernet PCMCIA/Modem card, or even a
> standard modem card, to work so that I could bring in CD-ROM code from the
> Net. What's the best way to get up and running? This system will need
> CD-ROM and PCMCIA support at the very least.

You're going to have to figure out why the CD isn't behaving as expected,
which will basically mean sitting down with the source and the ATAPI spec
and trying to visualise how the buggers who designed it could have
misinterpreted or shortcut the spec (or find the bug in the ATAPI code)
such that yours isn't probed.

As for the '562, I can't say; check the Nomad stuff and see if they
reckon they have it working...