Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:55:03 +0200
From:      "barbara" <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
To:        "spambox" <spambox@haruhiism.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, noc <noc@hdk5.net>
Subject:   Re: Root history not saving over reboot 8*

> barbara wrote:
> > I didn't tried pressing ctrl-d, but I can confirm that the history ge=
t lost even using shutdown as I use reboot only sometime in single user.

> > BTW, isn't ctrl-d the combination for command completion?
> >
> I think I mentioned ctrl-d explicitly just because it is *essential* to=

> press it.
> Ctrl-D performs a clean exit, given that the command line is empty.
>
> If one issues "shutdown -r now", the shell is not terminated, as the
> shutdown command starts the shutdown process in the background - becaus=
> "now" is not the only option and it basically schedules the shutdown to=

> happen in 0 minutes.
> After issuing "shutdown -r now" the user is returned to the shell, whic=
> remains active until it is killed during the shutdown process.
> Hitting Ctrl-D immediately after issuing that command ensures that you =

> have "exit"-ed the shell; if that was done before the shutdown kill
> sequence, and before the filesystems are remounted read-only - that's
> exactly why I said "immediately" - the shell *will* save the history fi=
le.

> Using "reboot" or hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del on the console terminates all
> virtual consoles; if a console is terminated, the shell that was runnin=
> on it exits on "Lost terminal" signal.
>
> I do indeed hope that this time my explanation is detailed enough.

Ok, I've got it.
Your explaination is even too much detailed!
But, without considering reboot or ctrl-alt-del, this is not what many us=
ers expect also comparing the behavior of the previous releases.
At least I never had such problem before 8.
And you can see many request about that in various mailing list and there=
 is also one in the forum. I've also found a couple of bloggers reporting=
 that.

Thanks