Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:43:09 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List of things to move from main tree to ports (was Re: Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again))

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 08:18:09PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The problem with Kerberos is that it requires substantial integration into
> > base system code that is very security-sensitive.  If you move KerberosIV
> > to a port without some form of integrating it into the base system while
> > using base system {telnetd,ftpd,...} then people who do run Kerberos will
> > suffer a great deal.
>
> In theory, PAM is supposed to permit programs to deal with this;
> many people don't use other than the authentication portion of
> PAM, but it seems that the API is there.

No, this is really only for interactive authentication.  One must
be able to get a password to a PAM-using process, and of course you
don't normally want to do this over the network.

> It would be worthwhile to abstract this code to the point that
> you could plug in Kerberos (or Heimdal), or something else, into
> the programs that currently have non-modular Kerberos specific
> code.

Well, there is already GSSAPI and SASL.  In fact, the telnetd and
ftpd in src/crypto/heimdal use GSSAPI.

Now that we have a GSSAPI implementation in the base system (Heimdal),
we can work on bringing telnetd/ftpd/et al up to speed.  Unfortunately,
sshd uses its own security negotiation protocol which is incompatible
with GSSAPI.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org