Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 2015 05:49:14 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Nomad Esst <noname.esst@yahoo.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: em. igb performance test

Thank you Adrian.=C2=A0Do you have any ideas on how to add a buffer until t=
he link is up?
Regards.=20

     On Sunday, September 6, 2015 7:08 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail=
.com> wrote:
  =20
=20

 No, I meant you'd likely have to do that in order to get the
functionality you desire!

-a

=20

From owner-freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org  Mon Sep  7 10:45:03 2015
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:44:58 +0200
From: Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To: Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com>
Cc: Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: How to control and setup service?

--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:57:27AM +0300, Pavel Timofeev wrote:
> > Am 28.08.2015 um 18:51 schrieb Pavel Timofeev:
> >> Sorry for top posting! It's pretty hard to write email walking under
> >> heavy rain and umbrella.
> >> So, I talked about special key, not default behaviour.
> >> Let me give you an example.
> >> You got a server (or ten) which was/were somehow configured before you.
> >> You want to reconfigure it/them. You don't care how and where it's
> >> already configured, you just want to set particular rcvars and be sure
> >> that no other rcvars are set.
> >>
> >> Before you came it was:
> >> mysql_enable=3D"YES/NO" # no matter
> >> mysql_datadir=3D"/mycozystorage/db/mysql"
> >> mysql_defaults_extra_file=3D"/mycozystorage/mysql/my.cnf"
> >> mysql_plugin_dir=3D"/somewhere/lib/mysql/plugin"
> >> mysql_log_error=3D"/mycozystorage/db/mysql/hostname.err"
> >>
> >> then you run something like (look at -k key)
> >> # service -k mysql-server enable set datadir "/mysqldb" log_error
> >> "/mysqllogs/hostname.err"
> >> it becomes
> >> mysql_enable=3D"YES"
> >> mysql_datadir=3D"/mysqldb"
> >> mysql_log_error=3D"/mysqllogs/hostname.err"
> >>
> >> I. e. sets what requested and deletes rcvars which was not requested.
> >
> > I think that the removal of the previous config state should not come
> > as the side-effect of some "set" command.
> >
> > I'd rather introduce a now verb for this purpose, which has the effect
> > of clearing all previous settings for a service, instead of overloading
> > the "set" operation.
>=20
> BTW, it's already suggested here https://reviews.freebsd.org/D451
> it's rcdelete. Not sure if it's good name.
>=20

Back from holidays...

It would be nice if we could find a consensus what should be done with
my patch in D451. The code itself works fine for me, but what's still
unclear is what config files should be touched by it:

1 /etc/rc.conf
2 /etc/rc.conf.local
3 /etc/rc.conf.d/$servicename

I could add some flags to service(8), e.g. -l to edit rc.conf.local, -d
for /etc/rc.conf.d.

But please don't let the review rot any longer. :)

--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6

--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6--