Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 17:08:02 -0500
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *HEADS UP* Correction to previous postings.

At 04:58 PM 3/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On the FreeBSD highway, -STABLE is one of the middle lanes.  Slower
>traffic should keep right... ie: -RELEASE  (in the US that is :)

>> I also find the attitude about people who have to do remote updates a bit
>> disconcerting.  Some of us have no choice.

>I'm in the same boat here, too.  Again, that machine does *NOT* track
>-STABLE.  It runs -STABLE but only after I'm damn well sure I won't be
>driving 45 minutes to go and reboot it.

Unfortunately, when security type fixes go in it's then important to do the
upgrade.  Quite honestly, that's about the only time the machines I'm
responsible for get updated.  But it's also critical that those changes go
in.  I see no real reason that this change *needs* to be in -stable.  Maybe
release it as a set of patches that you can apply, but it should stay in
-current (if it's there, I'd have to look at my home machine's freebsd
installation to see what the fstab looks like).

(I also only update the remote machine after I've done the update to my
office machines that run freebsd as an extra measure of caution, but I
still feel that this change is an unneeded risk for those that have to
update remotely.)

I'm not trying to attack anyone personally, although it might sound like
that.  I just don't feel that this is the wisest move.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu