Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:04:37 -0500
From:      "Christopher S. Weimann" <cweimann@wallnet.com>
To:        Jason Nordwick <nordwick@citycom.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with bsd

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 11:09:12PM -0800, Jason Nordwick wrote:

> >Christopher Weimann SysAdmin          Wall Internet LLC.
>
> Hmm... a sysadmin... and you think that you are even qualified to
> decide what is easy to install for the rest of us that don't spend
> our life on administating a computer?

Two years ago I had never touched a unix box of any flavor.  I bought
one box with BSDI preloaded and installed FreeBSD on the other myself
by following the instructions on the web page.

> Don't say stupid shit like "I don't know how to say this..." or
> "obvious" until you really sit down and think... hmmm... What
> would a person completely new to UNIX-style system and installing
> OSes in general know.  Arghh...

When I first installed FreeBSD I was completely new to Unix systems so
I do have an idea what one might think.

> I used to be a very strong FBSD prophet, but now after coming back
> to it after six months, my initial install of -current went horribly;

If you don't want problems don't run -current.  Run the release or stable.
Consider -current a beta maybe even alpha.  If it doesn't work report
it, don't bitch.

> If anybody really wants the system to get into the mainstream (I actually
> don't care if it does),

But if you make a system even an idiot can use then only an idiot is
going to want to use it.