Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:49:14 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best way to override user's CFLAGS in a port?

On Sep 7, 2004, at 2:47 PM, John Polstra wrote:
[ ...Oliver's comments about handling CFLAGS... ]
> I'm afraid if I do that, I'll get even more bug reports.  More and
> more -current users are adding -O2 to their CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf.
> Surely all of them would prefer having the port build properly than
> having it fail intentionally.

Users would prefer the software to build properly, so yes, doing
something to switch -Ox to plain -O is better than marking the port
BROKEN.

I don't think that changing a specific flag in a port which needs to do
so is unreasonable, but I dislike the notion of second-guessing the
end-user.  The whole point of preserving CFLAGS set in /etc/make.conf
or via the environment is to make it easy for people to build all of
the software using whatever flags they want.

Can we help you fix the issues with ezm3 when compiled with -O2, rather
than figuring ways to hack CFLAGS...?

--
-Chuck