Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation scripting fix to be committed to 5.x and 4.x wednesday

:
:In message <200004231855.LAA63309@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon writes:
:
:>    There's another good reason to MFC the linux patch on wednesday...
:>    that is, to do it at the same time the SMP cleanup is MFC'd, and that
:>    is because both patch sets require the linux kernel module to be
:>    recompiled and I'd rather not force people to do that twice.
:
:Matt, this is not a valid reason either.
:
:Unless there is *urgent* and *overriding* reasons, and that basically
:means that the security-officer says so, all changes must be shaken
:out in -current first.
:
:That's just the way it is Matt.  Get used to it.
:
:--
:Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20

   I think you're confused, Poul.  I've gone over the commits made
   to the tree by people over the last few months and frankly there
   are dozens of simultanious -current and -stable commits.  A quick
   check shows that most of them are trivial bug fixes.

   I will also point out that the current STABLE and CURRENT trees are
   being treated as a special case.  Jordan himself said so!  And that
   he has made a specific statement indicating that people could
   develop in the 4.x tree due to the potential breakage in the 5.x
   tree.

   This seems entirely appropriate to me.  If the rules have changed since
   that announcement, then I recommend that core make an official statement
   to correct it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>