Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:56:47 +1000
From:      Tony Maher <Tony.Maher@eBioinformatics.com>
To:        nicks@albury.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: opinions about Neomagic 256AV graphic chip

>> considering carries a Neomagic 256AV chip. I know that it is
>> supported by XFree86 now, but I would like to hear from people
>> using it: quality, speed (at 16bpp and 24bpp), etc.
>
> I'm using Neomagic 256AV (NM2200) with 2.5Mb RAM, running at 16bpp @
> 1024x768. Running Xfree 3.3.3.1 & enlightenment 0.15.5/fvwm2.

Agreed, I use it at 1024x768 16bpp (XFreee 3.3.4) and have no complaints.

> fine, and quality as good as I've seen. No 3D, though, which
> is a bit of a bummer...

Esp if you want to run FlightGear ;-)

> Don't count on getting the integrated audio controller working, though.
> Even OSS doesn't give *guaranteed* support.

I have sound running nicely after (finally) matching the irq's/dma/IO
parameters correctly in bios and kernel under FreeBSD 3.3-RC on
Dell Inspiron 3500.
(Had to lose the parallel port as there were not enough irqs to support
modem and ethernet cards plus everything else.)

tonym