Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:18:46 +0100
From:      Josh Ockert <torstenvl@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mot de passe root

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:26:27 +0100, Anthony Atkielski
<atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> cpghost@cordula.ws writes:
>
> > Well, not *fully* localized, since the commands were still the usual
> > bunch of 'ls' 'cp', 'mv' etc... (is that really English? ;-)), but
> > everthing else, including error messages and man pages were in german.
> > That was really weird looking, yet cute.
>
> Localizing software destabilizes it; localized versions always contain
> more bugs (often very hard-to-find bugs) than original versions.
>
> If I speak the language of the original authors of a software product, I
> always use the product in its original language.  Localized versions are
> a constant source of trouble.  Even Windows, which makes special
> provisions for localization, is still far more bug-prone in non-English
> versions, and I always try to install U.S.-English versions if I can get
> them.
>
> --
> Anthony

To be honest I've never used a localized version of *NIX, though I
imagine that the German version of SuSE (or whatever this weeks
capitalization practice is) and the French version of Mandrake would
be quite good. I also imagine there's probably also a good Canadian
French version of OpenBSD. Then again, it could just be my
imagination.

On the other hand, I use the localized French versions of Windows XP
Pro on the computer labs at school and they don't seem to have any
problems -- with the exception that Japanese students always install
this dumbass shareware IME program that sets the character set to
SHIFT-JIS and Firefox's menus are fscked until you task manager and
kill the blasted thing. There's no reason to think that string
replacement would cause more bugs in the technical sense; however, a
bad translation might contribute to a higher frequency of user error.

Maybe I'll have to try installing French FreeBSD and seeing how well it goes :-D