Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:23:39 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
To:        cpghost@cordula.ws, Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inetd vs standalone daemon

At 02:05 PM 3/27/2005, cpghost@cordula.ws wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 07:46:09PM +0200, Gert Cuykens wrote:
>
> > I vote we get rid of inetd :)
>
>No. With inetd, you can also turn regular filters into network
>aware programs (sort of). And not every network service is always
>needed all the time. Having a deamon for each of those seldom used
>services hanging around is just wastful.

How much wasting is going on though? Can I get a good feel for resources
consumed by looking at 'top'?

I'm happy with my set up the way it is and am just asking in the hopes of
learning more than I know (not very hard at this point).

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal