Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:29:07 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM, witr@rwwa.com
Subject:   AMD/NFS problems with 3.0

I have a problem with NFS/AMD hangs for some filesystems in this
large automounted network.  (I reported this to questions earlier
and got no responses).

At first I though this might be related to these messages that went
to the log the first time I started amd:

  noconn option exists, and was turned OFF! (May cause NFS hangs
  on some systems...)

So I tried modifying /usr/src/usr.sbin/amd/include/config.h to
play with the USE_CONNECTED_NFS_SOCKETS and USE_UNCONNECTED_NFS_SOCKETS.
This doesn't seem to have any effect on the problem.

What I have noticed is that these problems appear to be related to
"deferred" mounts:

bash-2.02# amq -s
requests  stale     mount     mount     unmount
deferred  fhandles  ok        failed    failed
10        0         176       0         0
bash-2.02# amq -s
requests  stale     mount     mount     unmount
deferred  fhandles  ok        failed    failed
12        0         176       0         0

In the code these are referred to as "dropped" mount requests.  Can
someone tell me what causes these and what I can do to fix this?

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 916 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com