Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:55:33 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO_BIND option (Was Re: make world question)

At 02:43 AM 10/1/99 -0500, Jeremy Shaffner wrote:
--snip--
>On the other hand, anyone making use of this option would only do so
>because they've installed bind8 (Port or by hand.)  They wouldn't need
>libs installed by the system, since they'll have them already.  In this
>case, NO_BIND is better.

Good idea since this comes up from time to time.  Along with UUCP, which
only makes sense with the sendmail knob.

>This brings up another issue:  PATHs.  The whole reason I thought this
>mess up was I didn't want two versions of every bind tool.  (Weird, and
>while looking for an example, I've found that the system nslookup is in
>/usr/sbin, and the port version is in /usr/local/bin.)  There are features
>in the latest release that I want, and I don't want to rearrange my PATH
>to look in /usr/local/* first.

Don't think the Wraith would go for this and is what $PREFIX is for.
Course a NOBIND option would prevent it from being clobbered.  Considering
that you don't *need* to rebuild the ports all the time.

>And finally, would this require the cooperation of the bind8 Port
>Maintainer?  (eg, install local named.re[start|load]'s with correct
>paths to ndc and such.)

No need.  Customize the Makefile.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator