Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:34:56 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to make ATA-100 work under stable ?

So, for the first time in my life I find myself going out and buying
an ATA drive (no space for a SCSI controller). Since I've more or
less ignored these drives until now I'm not finding it and easy (or
pleasent) experience. But have finally got to the point when its installed,
running 4.7-STABLE without complaining about implausible disc geometries
and generally seems O.K.

What I *cant* seem to do is to make it run at UDMA100 speed - it always
seems to do UDMA66. Whats the magic incantation under -STABLE to make it
work ? I did try 'atacontrol mode ata0 udma100' but that just
tells me that its not supported by the hardware.

The hardware in question is a Seagate BarracudaATA IV - I've run the Seagate
utility to set the drive to report itself as UDMA100  capable, I have installed
the 80 way ribbon connector and I have (as a last resort) flashed the
BIOS on the motherboard. The board itself is a Microstar dual PIII board,
and the drive controller appears to be called a "Promise" something
or other.

I have noticed that the BIOS on the controller says it is searching
for ATA-100 drives, but does not find any. On the other hand I assume that
BSD is not using the BIOS, so I am not sure if thats relevent.

Any ideas ? Is there soome kernel option for UDMA 100 that I am missing ?

-pcf. [this is the first and last time I venture out of SCSI-land!]