Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:45:52 +0200
From:      Moritz Schlarb <mail@moritz-schlarb.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance of Geli compared to Luks

Hello everyone,

My HP Proliant Microserver, which I want to use as a NAS, is using an
AMD Turion II Neo N40L processor. The plain disks give me about 100 MB/s
using filebench with the fivestreamwrite/multistreamwrite workloads (as
software RAID-1 under Linux and zpool mirror under FreeBSD).

In Linux, using LUKS with cipher aes-xts-plain64 on a software RAID-1 I
get the same ~100 MB/s for the same benchmarks.

In FreeBSD, using a mirror zfs pool with underlying GELI with AES-XTS I
get only ~50 MB/s.

As the encryption algorithms should be the same, I'm wondering why
FreeBSD is that slow for nearly exactly the same use case.
Any ideas how I could tweak my settings in FreeBSD?

Regards,
--
Moritz Schlarb