Date:      Tue, 5 May 2009 10:46:22 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Andrew Wright <andrew@qemg.org>
To:        Marc Coyles <mcoyles@horbury.wakefield.sch.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dump snapshot issue...

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Marc Coyles wrote:

> I've got a script that dumps various filesystems to tape for me, but
> I've always had an issue whenever I've used the -L option... see below:
>
> /usr/bin/mt rewind
> /sbin/dump 0aLuf /dev/sa0 /
> dump: Cannot create //.snap/dump_snapshot: No such file or directory

You probably have not created the .snap directory in the root of the
filesystem.

>From the dump(8) man page:
 	If the .snap directory does not exist in the root of the
 	file system being dumped, a warning will be issued and the
 	dump will revert to the standard behavior.  This problem
 	can be corrected by creating a .snap directory in the root
 	of the file system to be dumped; its owner should be
 	``root'', its group should be ``operator'', and its mode
 	should be ``0770''.

A.