Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 12:09:37 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@tgci.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Passwords messed up during botched "upgrade"

Well, I really screwed this one up.  After getting errors installing
cvsup I decided to do an upgrade from 2.2.2-R to 2.2.5-R using
sysinstall.  However, I ran it from /stand in multi-user mode as
opposed to either using the boot floppy or (I assume
this would work?) /stand/sysinstall in single user mode.

Anyway, I started getting weird error messages from sendmail (forgot
to shut it down) and decided to quit and restore from backups.
Problem with that was the backup was no good.  :(  The last good one
was a couple weeks old.

This did not seem much of a problem, I'd backed up /etc manually in a
couple places, and /usr was intact, so I restored from the old tar
file the files in root, /dev /bin, /lkm.

But I could *not* log on!  Users seemed to  still be there but  with
the wrong passwords.  I restored master.passwd from /var/backups and
still had trouble. One or two users could log on, but a couple others
couldn't!

IIRC the username length changes from 2.2.2-R to 2.2.5-R?  Is this
causing the passwords to mess up?  I assume some binaries were
replaced with 2.2.5 versions and I didn't restore them?  Which ones?

Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I'm thinking I'll use sysinstall
from the boot floppy after restoring the system's group and
master.passwd files (again) and proceed from there.

Help and/or advice would be greatfully appreciated!

Cheers,

Riley