Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:14:31 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        scuba@centroin.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, Todor Genov <todor.genov@za.verizonbusiness.com>, jhb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 and ESXi

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:04:07AM -0300, scuba@centroin.com.br wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> |On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:54:26AM -0300, scuba@centroin.com.br wrote:
> |> 	I'm facing some problems trying to install a FreeBSD
> |> 7.0-RELEASE-amd64, on a Dell PE 2950III, dual Xeon Quad core, 8GB RAM.
> |> 	After (FBSD) boot menu count down, it shows a dump of the CPU
> |> registers and a message: BTX Halted. No matter what is changed in VM
> |> setup.
> |
> |Can you please download the 7.1-BETA2 ISO and try it instead?  There
> |have been changes to the FreeBSD boot loader between 7.0-RELEASE and
> |7.1-BETA2 which may improve things for you.  The 7.1-BETA2 ISOs are
> |available here:
>
> 	The same behavior with 7.1-BETA2.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, or what to tell you, since the
kernel can't even load.

Are you installing this off of CD, and is the CD drive hooked up to
the PC via ATA/SATA (rather than USB or something else)?

John Baldwin might have some ideas, but debugging this is going to be
difficult because you're wanting to use amd64 but the only way to get a
usable box is under i386.