Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 06:06:25 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        crh@outpost.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Webcam (was Re: Bt848 based server)

Craig

> I'd like to make a single C program that uses libjpeg to output a
> suitable file for a web page

Amancio wrote a program like this and I have a copy of the source.
I'll dig it out for you.

> plus look at using a continuous video stream from the bktr driver
> rather than the single frame grabs

aah, if only I could let you use my video codecs. :-(
You can see an example of low bitrate streaming video at
http://ww.telepresence.strath.ac.uk
Goto to the JavaCam link.
As the player is Java, it works best on a Windows box (with JIT)
or a very fast CPU.

> as you'll notice from our webcam results in some image stability
> problems.

I noticed this myself too. Unfortunatly I do not have a fix yet.
Best option is to limit grab sizes to less than half the
TV resolution.
For PAL, grab images less than 288 pixels high.
For NTSC grab images less than 240 pixels high.
This removes the interlacing (jagged edges) problems.

Cheers
Roger