Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:19:48 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
Cc:        Peter Clark <clarkp@mtmary.edu>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ermal_Lu=E7i?= <ermal.luci@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: PF syntax error

Jon Radel wrote:
> Ermal Luçi wrote:

>>>I've changed the CC list, so this will now go to the freebsd-pf mailing
>>>list instead.

>>Is it a copy-paste error or you forgot keep state in there?
>>It should look
>>pass in quick on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port 22 flags S/SA \
>>keep state(max-src-conn 15, max-src-conn-rate 5/3, overload
>><bruteforce> flush global)
>

> And here I thought "keep state" was the default in the pf shipped with
> FreeBSD 7.0....
>
> Actually, it is, as is "flags S/SA" on TCP connections.  Those defaults
> came in with the PF from OpenBSD 4.1, which is what is used in FreeBSD 7.0.

Yes, keep state is the default, but syntax for source tracking required
these explicitly as stated in man pf.conf:

STATEFUL TRACKING OPTIONS
A number of options related to stateful tracking can be applied on a per
rule basis.  keep state, modulate state and synproxy state support these
options, and *keep state must be specified explicitly* to apply options
to a rule.

Miroslav Lachman