Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:24:54 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New install on Dell -- Need help

> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:22:31 -0800 (PST)
> From: "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hello...
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE on my Dell
> Inspiron 8200 last Friday and have been working to get
> things running. I know a little bit about FreeBSD from
> what I've picked out of the handbook, and from my past
> experience with Linux, but I'm still in the dark.
>
> I'm having a lot of ACPI troubles, and I'm wondering
> if anyone knows what the fix for the battery mis-read
> error is. I've disabled APM in my kernel config
> (according to some sources I've found it doesn't like
> playing nice with ACPI). Also, running GKrellM with
> tz0 enabled shows temp ranges from 125 to 160 degrees
> F... is there some way to fix this with scaling/offset
> options? I've already applied the ACPI patch to be rid
> of the error messages on boot, but I'm still working
> on those two problems listed above.

By the way, I suspect the temperature is valid. My ThinkPad is now
reading 170F while a buildworld is in progress. This value is below
either _PSV (359.7K) or _CRT (367.2K), but pretty warm!

These things run VERY hot and the tz0 value on most P4 systems is right
on the processor. I can also tell you that I would not want the bottom
of my laptop resting on my lap!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)