Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:48:42 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        acid@cn.ua (Michael Vasilenko), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI-CardBus bridge + PCMCIA Lucent WaveLAN IEEE troubles

In message <200004150819.KAA95650@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za> John Hay writes:
: I recall (but might be wrong) that most if not all sucess stories are
: on notebooks with the TI-1225 on the motherboard. Maybe the notebook
: bios do something more than isn't done on a normal pc?

That's entirely possible.  All notebook BIOSes that I've looked at try
to initialize the cardbus bridge into some known state.  Many of the
initialize it into a state very compatible with FreeBSD's assumptions
(sometimes with some setup help from the user).  Some don't.  Nearly
none of the desktops do the right thing as far as initialization of
the cards goes, so as we see more card bus bridges we have to get
smarters.

On the laptops as well, one can add a TI-950 or equivalent part wired
to the south bridge (well, the pci isa bridge which I think is usually
called the south bridge) which allows one to do serial interrupt ISA
routing over the PCI bus.  I'm not sure how many desktops, if any, do
this sort of thing.  I just now found the datasheet from TI and have
started looking at it.  It does support some kind of PCI standard on
the topic, but I've not looked into enough to know how standard this
standard is.  Briefly, it allows one to route any IRQ or PCI interrupt
using a serial protocol for the interrupt.

Warner