Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 23:44:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: print/gs4

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> 	cd print/gs4
> 	make install
> does:
> 	install -c -m 755 gs /usr/local/bin/gs
> So our GNU version of gs gets trampled by the commercial Aladdin gs,
> I'd rather expected it to be installed as bin/gs4....

Ok, let's discuss that now, but ... I was aware of this ...

The reason for me not to change the default path and program name
(/usr/local/bin/gs) was, that all ghostscript ports in the past
did it the same way and I didn't want to break something ...

For example ghostview looks for /usr/local/bin/gs and _not_ gs4
or whatelse ... I think, that the ordinary ghostscript user doesn't
look or differentiate between different copyright (GNU / Aladdin)
I think the user only wants the latest and greatest version.

It's _not_ like in tcl / tk, where you sometimes need older
program versions, since it's not fully backward compatible ...

I vote for _not_ to differentiate in different gs versions:
	/usr/local/bin/gs
	/usr/local/bin/gs3
	/usr/local/bin/gs4

Say NO ;-) Any comments ?! Surely some ?!

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de