Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:23:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty), tlambert@primenet.com, dyson@iquest.net, dick@tar.com, jplevyak@inktomi.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockf and kernel threads

    Two things.

    First, ASTs were a VAXen thing and must be 'simulated' on every other
    architecture, including intel.

    Second, Intel's ring architecture is 100% *broken*.  The only useful
    rings are ring 0 and ring 3.  That's it.  The intermediate rings are no
    better then a glorified user mode because most privilaged instructions
    cannot be run in them.

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:> > Actually, AST's run in a mode between supervisor and user.  The x86
:> > handles this (the infrequently used "ring 1" and "ring 2", but other
:> > processor architectures do not.
:> > or previous employers.
:>
:> Thats a kernel implementation issue and not necessarily a platform specific
:> feature assuming
:> that the platform can do multitasking .
:
:It was my understanding that it had to run in the user's process on
:potentially N alternate stacks, simultaneously, if an AST fires
:while an AST is filiring.
:
:Basically, ring 2 is used to supply th stack and the program counter.
:
:I think you could queue it, but you would lose your interleave.
:
:I think that completion functions are less useful than select type
:functions.  For VMS, this would be SYS$WAITEFLOR, which waits for
:an event flag to be set by an AST callback into event-flag-setting
:code.
:
:You have to use a "wait for completion" interface of some kind if
:...
:					Terry Lambert
:					terry@lambert.org