Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:52:33 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Marcelo Gardini do Amaral <marcelo@registro.br>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: DNS Performance Numbers

Marcelo Gardini do Amaral wrote:
>> FYI: In response to feedback from ISC, there are UDP transmit optimizations
>> in FreeBSD 7.x.  These have a relatively minor performance impact for
>> single-threaded applications, but in the special case of BIND accessing a
>> single UDP socket from many different threads, it significantly improves
>> performance.  I'll look at MFC'ing these to 6.x after 6.2-RELEASE
>> (especially if reminded in a month or so :-).
>>
>> With regard to the possible bge issue -- I would encourage you to test
>> using a 7.x kernel, ideally with all the debugging disabled, and see if
>> there's been any improvement (or regression).  There has been a lot of
>> change in these areas, and it would be helpful to know what, if any, impact
>> this has had.
>>

> I made some tests using 7.x with all the debugging disabled:
>
>                                 queries / s
>
> Int     bind (d_t)      bind (e_t)      nsd (1_s)       nsd (2_s)
> ---     ----------      ----------      ---------       ---------
>
> bge     15439           14733           12910           10946
> em      37655           34092           42411           41974
>

> d_t: disable threads
> e_t: enable threads (libpthread)
> 1_s: 1 server forked
> 2_s: 2 server forked
>
> Bind: 9.2.3
> NSD: 3.0.2
> em: Dell 1950, Intel NIC, SMP kernel
> bge: HP Blade BL35p, Broadcom NIC, SMP kernel
> Client: Dell 1750, Intel NIC, FreeBSD 4.11 UP, running queryperf
>

> The results are very good for em NIC, better than my numbers [1] with
> FreeBSD 6.1 some months ago. So I guess that we had an improvement :-)
>
> But I got the same poor performance with the bge interface. The
> problem remains.
>
> [1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-September/011767.html
>
> Cheers,
> Marcelo

These results looks very puzzling to me.
As far as I know, multithreading and/or multiprocessors should perform
better anyway than a single threaded application within other
applications on an UP box. Strange results ...And more strange than this
is the result taken from the FBSD 4.11 box! Is there an explanation why
FreeBSD performs so bad beyond 4.X and on SMP boxes? Please show me
threads ...

Thanks and regards,
Oliver