Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:14:18 -0800
From:      Michael Collette <metrol.net@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Fred Condo <fcondo@quinn.com>
Subject:   Re: MySQL 4.0.23a on 5-STABLE has a startup glitch

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:52:51 +0100, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@chello.cz> wrote:
> # fcondo@quinn.com / 2005-01-21 16:56:09 -0800:
> > On Jan 21, 2005, at 2:43 PM, Michael Collette wrote:
> > >On 5-STABLE I am unable to get mysql-server-4.0.23a to start with the
> > >rcng script.  Upon launching the script it dumps me to a prompt owned
> > >by the mysql user.  I have run into one other user on the mailing
> > >lists with the same exact problem.
>
> > I'm seeing identical behavior under FreeBSD 4.10-p5 with MySQL 4.1.9. I
> > finally traced the execution of the startup script by invoking it as:
> >
> > sh -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start
> >
> > The resulting output showed this detail:
> >
> > + su -m mysql -c sh -c "/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql
> > --datadir=/var/db/mysql --pid-file=/var/db/mysql/OBFUSCATED.pid >
> > /dev/null &"
> > bash: no job control in this shell
>
>     That looks like you have installed bash and replaced the original
>     /bin/sh with (a link to) bash and/or have a strange $PATH.
>
>     I strongly suggest you don't try to use bash as /bin/sh: it's a poor
>     /bin/sh lookalike, and will e. g. break quite a few jobs in
>     periodic(8).

I know I haven't done that here.  Bash is my default shell, but I
didn't do any messing around with linking away from sh.  I'm getting
the exact same symptoms here on 5-STABLE.

MySQL doesn't start with the new rcng script, and it just sits there
at a prompt owned by the mysql user.  It will do this when I try to
launch it manually or at boot.  Running ps ax shows that "su -m mysql"
line that Fred mentioned.

I just don't quite get why this needs to launch with su anyway.  Isn't
that what the --user switch is for in the mysqld_safe command?

--
"When you come to a fork in the road....Take it"
- Yogi Berra