Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2017 18:31:21 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with pkg, svnlite and svn on both 12.0 BBB snapshots of June 2017

> Am 17.06.2017 um 18:24 schrieb Dr. Rolf Jansen <rj@obsigna.com>:
>=20
>> Am 17.06.2017 um 12:41 schrieb Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org =
<mailto:carlj@peak.org>>:
>>=20
>> "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com <mailto:rj@obsigna.com>> writes:
>>=20
>>> I subsequently deployed the June snapshots of FreeBSD 12.0 on my
>>> Beaglebone Black, and in both cases I experience problems with pkg,
>>> svnlite and with svn from the ports.
>>>=20
>>> # pkg -v
>>> --> Shared object "libarchive.so.6" not found, required by "pkg"
>>>=20
>>> I can get pkg working, after I do:
>>> # ln -s /usr/lib/libarchive.so.7 /usr/lib/libarchive.so.6
>>>=20
>>> Any flavor of subversion is completely unusable now, I see various =
errors in different situations:
>>>=20
>>> One of either:
>>>  svn: E175003: Attempt to fetch capability 'depth' resulted in 'no'
>>>=20
>>> or:
>>>  svn: E000022: Error converting entry in directory =
'/root/install/my_tiny_project' to UTF-8
>>>  svn: E000022: Valid UTF-8 data
>>>  (hex: 18 10)
>>>  followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
>>>  (hex: e5 20 18 30)
>>>=20
>>> The working directories are not damaged, because I observe normal =
svn
>>> operation on the very same ones, when I open those with svn on a =
12.0
>>> snapshot from May 2017.
>>>=20
>>> Anyway, before I submit a burg report, I would like to ask whether I
>>> am the only one, experiencing those problems, or if others see these
>>> as well. May this be related to a broken SD card?
>>>=20
>>> Please can someone confirm that pkg and svnlite are working (or even
>>> not) on the out-of-the-box snapshot
>>> FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-BEAGLEBONE-20170612-r319859.
>>=20
>> I don't know if you are aware, but 12.0-CURRENT switched to 64-bit
>> inodes in late May, so some of the shared library numbers were
>> incremented.  I also had the same problem with pkg, but found that
>> pkg-static would still work. I fixed that by building pkg from ports. =
>> just checked the FreeBSD package repository for 12.0 armv6 and it =
still
>> shows a May 28 date, so it still hasn't been updated.  I don't know
>> about svn, but I would expect svnlite in the base system to work if =
it
>> is just the 64 bit inodes.
>=20
> Thank you very much for the information, which is news to me.
>=20
> As a matter of fact, pkg-static does work without symlinking =
libarchive.so.7 to *.6, while svnlite does not.
>=20
> I built subversion 1.9.5 from the ports, however, I used the =
dependencies from package repository -- because building software on the =
BBB simply takes too long for being viable in the long run. For the time =
being, I will build step by step the dependencies from the ports, and by =
this I will see which one is the show stopper in the moment.

I had a quick success. Reinstallation of devel/apr1 from the ports =
resolved the problem with subversion.

So, I guess, everything will automatically come back to normal in the =
course of future updates cycles of the packages repository.

Best regards

Rolf