Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:25:30 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreshPorts fraud

At 10:09 05/12/2003 -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>Over the past three or four years, I have various different websites
>republish my content without my permission. Some with my by-line and some
>without any attribution. When asked, they have politely removed my
>content. Sometimes, I wonder if some website makers (I don't use the term
>"editor") don't understand about reusing content.

   I had the same experience with my BSDCon paper about FreeBSD Update;
net-security.org misappropriated it (and even managed to get a link from
the news section of the FreeBSD website).  Now, they did remove it about 6
hours after I complained, but they didn't really seem to understand that
republishing my paper without my permission was illegal.
   Meanwhile, fma.com seems to have decided to squat on daemonology.com, in
reaction to my use of the .net.  A waste of $10/year (or whatever domain
registration costs these days) if you ask me; most people can't even
*spell* daemonology, let alone enter the .com by mistake.

Colin Percival