Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:14:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory D Lewis <glewis@maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        inge1questions@hotmail.com (Edward Ing)
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWT with what  window toolkit? Please correct me if I

> Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that to see AWT
> classes work you need to have the motif windowing tookit (or lesstif) if
> you are not using a browser client, but a stand alone client.
>
> What are the impediments to making AWT in its JDK form work on other
> windowing systems like KDE?
> 1. Is it the case that the JDK from Sun is coded with Motif and that the
> difficulty is to write the AWT to use the KDE widgets(for example?)

I think there is some confusion here.  KDE is a desktop environment which
includes a window manager and related tools.  Its not a graphics library.
It does however base itself upon Troll Tech's Qt graphic library.  This is
to say, you want to refer to Motif and Qt, not Motif and KDE.

> 2. Or is it the case that Sun licensing will not allow someone to write
> class to a different windowing system set?
>
> I was wondering how difficult programming wise and legalities-wise it
> would be to build a JDK AWT to use KDE.

Programming wise, if you can sign the appropriate form and get a look at the
JDK code then the question reduces to "Can I translate the appropriate
Motif calls to {Qt/GTK/FLTK/whatever} calls?".  I would suggest the answer
is "yes", but it may or may not be easy depending upon how close the feature
sets are in functionality and implementation.

You might want to look at Kaffe, which has done its own GPL'ed AWT
implementation instead of using Motif (www.transvirtual.com/kaffe.html).

As for the legalities of doing so, Nate has answered this question already :).
In addition, you would have to check the license of the graphics library
you are intending to use (Qt in your case).  You should note in Qt's case that
its not "free software".  That is, if anyone used such a JDK for a commercial
purpose they would have to buy a Qt license from Troll Tech.

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis@maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide