Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 12:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IE for FreeBSD Petition

Well if you do not want to recieve it after you have it once, that is one
thing.  Not ever wanting it is another.  I understand that it is
wasteful getting it each time with each email, but email really is not
all that sophisticated.

But here are set of enhancements which may be good to put in a new RFC.

Once you send an email, that address is looked up in your own address
book.  If no record exists, a header can be added to that email which
requests that data.  The recipient of the email would then automatically
log that you do not have his/her full info and have the option to send it
to you in a future email.  This could all be done transparently.  You
could be building an address book database without even entering the data
manually.  When you need the info, it is there.

Of cource this could be easily be turned on and off if you never wanted to
request these records.  They could also take some other form, not vcf
format.

Another feature I would like to see with this vcf files is a
vcf-modified-time which would simply go in as a header which would let
your address book database know if the record you have is current.  In
essence, you could keep current record on all of your contacts
transparently.

If you were using a system which has this ability, you could update your
work phone number and address and over time each of your contacts would be
the update.  The ones you interact with the most often will always stay
updated.

And just to take it a step further, each email server could have an
address like vcf@host.com where people get automated responses with vcf
information.  If your domain is a business or some other kind of
information it could contain key contact information.

Given these new abilities, email could become a very sophistiated
system.  A distributed database perhaps.

I am sure there would be some privacy concerns.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?