Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:34:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jack Raats <jack@jarasoft.net>
Cc:        kama <kama@pvp.se>, Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.2 Release process starting...

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Jack Raats wrote:

>> One of the most important things for us to keep an eye on in this release
>> is that the boot loader now works on a number of pieces of hardware on
>> which it reressed for 6.4/7.1.  If it proves successful, we'll likely also
>> do errata notes and roll new ISOs for 6.4.
>
> About FreeBSD 6.4. If you consider to make new 6.4 iso's, perhaps it would
> be better to think about an 6.5 release????

It's a question of bandwidth for the release engineering team, ports team,
security officer team, etc -- I think a 6.5 is pretty much out of the question
right now with 8.0 preparing to ramp up and 7.2 now in flight.  That gives us
a short menu of options:

- Errata patches
- Errata patches + ISO reroll
- Point release

Because of the boot loader issues, errata patches don't really cut it alone,
as if you can't install, you definitely can't apply errata patches :-).  This
suggests a reroll or a point release.

For me the distinction remains fuzzy, but I think a key to either approach
would be avoiding having to fully re-QA, do BETAs, build new packages, etc.
This suggests taking RELENG_6_4 on some date, perhaps rebranching if it's a
point release, or not if it's an ISO reroll, and bundling it with exactly the
same packages we shipped in 6.4 (etc) and bumping a few documentation parts.
We'd cut a release candidate just to make sure we had the bits right, ask
people to test install it, etc, but as there would be no new features, we'd
expect relatively little change. I think I wouldn't even change the proposed
EoL date of the branch -- 7.x is doing very well, and we need developers to
focus on getting 8.0 ready to ship.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge