Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 95 22:39:43 CST
From:      "David Kelly" <dkelly@iquest.com>
To:        "Daniel Leeds" <dleeds@eagle.ais.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org, "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Subject:   Re: ultrastor 34f

>> Hiya!
>>
>> I want to know if the ultrastor 34f controller (scsi-2) VL will work with
>> freebsd, I heard it does, but want to know if it is stable and works
>> well before I buy it.
>
>The Ultrastor 34F does work, it is stable, it does have the nasty habit
>of causeing high interrupt latency as it seems to grab the bus for long
>periods of time.
>
>Utrastor is also out of business, so if you are buying one get a real
>good deal on it.
>
>If any one wants one of these I will gladly sell mine for $150.00 as
>it see's very limited use any more since I have converted almost all
>of my systems to PCI (I use it to test VL bus mastering slots, but I
>have Bt445C's for that now).
>
>This is the full kit with all the software and I'll through in a brand
>new 2 drive cable.  You pay UPS ground shipping, should be <$10.00 to
>anyplace in the states.
>
>--
>Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
>Accurate Automation Company                   Custom computers for FreeBSD

UltraStor is not out of business. Call 714-581-4100 and ask them yourself.

Last month I returned one of the first 14F's for repair/upgrade. My card
was replaced with and upgrade. And the damn thing failed just exactly the
same way as the prior one did. Then I noticed new jumper definitions in the
new manual (quite sure they were not in the original manual, which I can't
find at the moment) where one can set the maximum time the card occupies
the ISA bus. Default was 11uS. Set to 9uS it works. At 11uS I couldn't get
thru DOS 5.0's fdisk without a lockup. Golly! Isn't it great how COMPATIBLE
the Industry Standard Architecture bus is?

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity