Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2013 03:14:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook suggestion: Dealing with Moved Ports

> Personally I put a note in UPDATING if it's a version switch, because
> these shouldn't normally be done automatically.
> [...]
> Anyone disagree with me, or shall I document that? :)

The response I got on the freebsd-ports list seems to disagree.[1]
Maybe you should post there?

I personally think it should be in UPDATING, because

  1. the normal method of upgrading (portmaster nameofport) does not work;
     one must invoke the "-o" option;

and

  2. how to deal with a moved port like this is not documented; I only
     guessed at "-o" because I've seen it in lots of UPDATING entries.

I feel we should document it either way. It would be especially useful if
it's true that UPDATING is for bigger gotchas than this kind of move.

-Mike

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-May/083946.html