Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:53:27 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make world' not so common

Micha³ Pasternak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what advantages (and disadvantages) does recompilation (so common thing in
> *BSD world) has over binary packages (deb/rpm, for example) ?

The reason I like to compile from source, is that it gives me a
warm, fuzzy feeling knowing the program was built from source on
the very same machine it runs on. It also give me the option to
compile it with flags suited for me and me alone. Lets say I
install a mailserver. I then have the option to compile it with
support for SSL, or, if I choose to, withouth SLL. Sure, with a
binary you can disable SSL, but the SSL support will still be in
the binary, even if its never used. I can specify flags and
compile optimization that suits my exact needs. If I run
precompiled binaries, I will have to settle with the flags the
person compiling the binary found usefull, which may or may not
suit my needs.

The disadvantages as I see it is only one. It takes time.
Installing a package may take seconds, while compiling the same
program from source is likely to take atleast minutes. Some
horror examples like XFree comes to mind, where installing from
package may take something like 10-15 minutes, while compiling
from source on a modest machine is likely to take 10-15 hours.