Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:11:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Odd Boot Menu

Thursday, a co-worker installed 3.1 on his PC. Things went pretty well
using a bootable CD I made by downloading off of freebsd.org, but
there is one really weird thing going on at boot time.

He gets a menu at startup for choosing an OS,

F1 DOS
F2 DOS
F3 FreeBSD
F4 Disk 0

With a strange (to me) final 'Disk 0' entry. What's stranger is that
if he picks F1, F2, or F3, the machine just beeps and does nothing. He
_has to_ pick F4. At this point, he gets the same menu printed again
below the first,

F1 DOS
F2 DOS
F3 FreeBSD

But no 'Disk 0' entry. And this time, he can choose FreeBSD and boot
cleanly the rest of the way.

Now, this is just an annoyance when someone is sitting at the
console; you have to hit two buttons instead one. But if for some
reason the machine came down and up unattended, it comes to the first
menu with 'F3' (or one of the other OSs) as the default. If you just
let it sit, it will start to beep just as if a person had chosen
anything but 'Disk 0.' This means the machine would not come up again
on its own, but sit and beep until someone walked up and it 'F4.'

Anyone know why it is doing it or how to fix? I suspect it might be an
unusual BIOS setting, but nothing really bad comes to mind from the
way he has his machine setup. Once again, it's a fresh install of 3.1
which has shown this oddity since the first reboot. The machine is a
PII with every kind of drive you can think of, IDE HD, IDE CDROM, IDE
LS-120 floppy, SCSI Jaz, SCSI Zip, and SCSI WORM (all of which were
recognized beautifully by the GENERIC kernel *applause*).