Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 11:03:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        dicen@hooked.net
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

[ Reduced the Cc list to one mailing list ]

> > That's *NOT* the correct thing.  What happens when for some reason
> > PPP happens to send the sequence '+++' to the modem?  All of a sudden
> > it'll drop into command mode and you're screwed.  User-PPP (as well as
> > all other PPP/SLIP implementations I've worked with) assumes that you've
> > disabled the escape sequence at least temporarily.
>
> Interesting. But, what exactly is the prabobalitity of that? I will have
> think about this one.

Not much, but if it happens it's a pain.

> > Most of this *is* already documented in the FreeBSD handbook.
>
> Nope. Nope. Nope. I have look through the entire /usr/share/doc tree and
> didn't find anything about ppp not hanging up modems, etc..

It discusses setting up the modems for PPP.  If you don't follow the
instructions then the behavior you see is undocumented.  I don't ever
remember seeing in my Chrysler manual an answer to a question that my
car won't move because I forgot to stick oil in it and the engine locked
up.

You can't answer *every* question when the folks aren't willing to read
the setup documentation.

Nate