Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:40:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22328: new port -- print/ttf2pt1

The following reply was made to PR ports/22328; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To: Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, OKAZAKI Tetsurou <okazaki@be.to>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, eddietwo@naugabutt.lcs.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:35:36 -0500

 Mikhail Teterin wrote:

 > Sergey Babkin once stated:
 >
 > => On 27 Oct, Mike Meyer wrote:
 > => = > PREFIX/bin/t1asm conflicts with t1asm installed by print/t1utils,
 > => = > doesn't it?
 >
 > => Interestingly, it is the same tool. The one, that comes with t1utils,
 > => though,  is a  newer version.  Whereas the  ttf2pt1's t1asm.c  latest
 > => revision ends at
 >
 > =Yes, it's  the same  tool, just  the version  included with  ttf2pt1 is
 > =quite old (but it has a few fixes done since then).
 >
 > Could  you, guys,  merge your  "differences" together?  Perhaps, ttf2pt1
 > should not include t1asm of its own at all -- to avoid future diversions
 > and simply document t1utils as a prerequisite?

 ttf2pt1 should work fine with t1asm from t1utils.

 > =I believe that the new t1asm from  t1utils should work fine but did not
 > =I try it personally (though I think some other people did).
 > =
 > =The problem  with ttf2pt1  is that as  of now it's  not designed  to be
 > =installed at all, it's more of a build-convert your fonts-throw it away
 > =type tool. After being installed the scripts will break badly.
 >
 > Right now, I patch  convert (a new name would be  nice to avoid conflict
 > with ImageMagick's convert(1))  to harcode the directory it  is going to

 I doubt that this script is worth placing it into bin/ , maybe
 it would be better left in lib/ and this would also avoid the
 conflict.

 Please send me your patch after you're done with it.

 > be in in the place of the multiple `pwd`. Will anything else break?

 No, nothing should. Though probably some alternative way to specify
 convert.cfg should be added.

 > =Making it more  generally installable is on the ToDo  list but with low
 > =priority.
 >
 > May I  interest you in  finishing and  maintaining the ttf2pt1  port for
 > FreeBSD? Clearly, you had some exposure to it :)

 Well, a port was also on that ToDo list with the same priority,
 so I'm quite happy that someone else did it :-)

 > =My  current  vision   is  to  install  t1asm  (and   maybe  some  stuff
 > =from  other/)  into PREFIX/lib/ttf2pt1.  Maybe  also  install t1asm  as
 > =PREFIX/bin/ttf2pt1_t1asm  (probably  a  hard   or  symbolic  link  into
 > =PREFIX/lib).  But I'm  absolutely certain  that it  must not  overwrite
 > =t1asm from t1utils.
 >
 > =Also ttf2pfa should not be installed (and generally not used at all)
 > =because it's just a historic relic.

 Actually, I already removed it from ttf2pt1-current.

 > There  are documents  on the  web, that  document its  usage in  HOWTOs.
 > That's how  I found  your package,  BTW, trying  to get  some postscript
 > fonts for koi8-u. I saw automated scripts that use ttf2pfa -- unless its
 > presence breaks something else, I think, it should be installed.

 These scripts are terribly obsolete and should not be used any more.
 ttf2pfa is not supported by its author (who switched to ttf2pt1
 development) for about 2 years.

 -SB